Monday, May 11, 2009

First Game Canceled - Without Notice

There's nothing like the first game of the season. So much promise, so many unanswered questions, sunflower seeds. I got to the field early to get it chalked and raked to perfection. One of our other teams was practicing, so it was quite pleasurable to kick them off the field (Yeah, I've got a mean streak when it comes to baseball. I was a pitcher and was not afraid to pitch inside.). So, I'm raking away, working out my lineup in my mind, getting that baseball high, when a kid tells me, "The game has been canceled." "What?" "My mom said the game was canceled and moved to Friday." I swore under my breath. "Fine."

At this point it's too late to call everyone and tell them not to show up. I got a hold of the league prez and he says, "I thought I sent you and email." "No. And you can call the other team and tell them not to bother showing up Friday." "Why?" "Because I have to work. I told you I can't screw with the schedule because of work." Then I hung up and verbally swore.

So, we had a practice after a few tears were shed because we couldn't play. It is a good sign that the kids were ready to play. Well, we'll give her the Ginsu Wednesday.

No comments: