Friday, May 29, 2009

Game Nine - Too Much Drama

This game was the final straw. This is my last year unless league "leadership" changes. Sushi is ready to quit now. What was a good game, ended up in an ugly manner.

We were the home team against our nemesis team, game tied at 5 in the bottom of the 6th. Got the lead runner on, but the next two batters got out. Batter hits the ball to left and I'm calling the lead runner to third and the left fielder futzes the ball and so I send the runner home. He beats the throw, game over, we win. Except: runner missed both second and third.

During the game, the umpire's strike zone changed and not in our favor. One of my parents told us that the ump was friends with the opposing coach. So, after the winning run scored, the other coach ran out to talk to the ump (suspicious) and then they appealed at second. The ump called the runner out. I wouldn't have said anything except for the little talk before the appeal. So, I went and asked the ump if he had actually seen the runner miss second. He said no and I said that he couldn't call the runner out if he didn't see him miss the base. (The idiot league prez hollered something stupid, which I just ignored.) The ump called him safe, they then appealed at third, the ump called him out after he told me that he saw the runner miss third. At this point, I'm fine and am getting the kids ready to go another inning.

One of my parents (he helps coach too) got involved, stating that the appeal was not done correctly. So, several minutes were spent on deciding what to do. A parent from the other team that I really like, was in agreement about the incorrect appeals, but he wasn't sure what to do. I completely sat this out, letting everyone else freak out. I was talking to the ump and realized that he did not see the runner miss either second or third. He thought the appeal at third was on the batter, who didn't bother to touch third because the game was over. Since he didn't see the runner miss either base, he couldn't call him out. Since he couldn't call him out, the run had to count and we won the game.

I'm not sure why this year has been so much trouble, but the combination of having to work so hard to get my schedule reorganized and having so many stupid problems with the league add up to be too much.

No comments: