Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Game Five- Fantastic

This is the game I was most looking forward to. As you know by my previous posts, we had three kids taken off our team. Well, this is the team that got said kids. The coach of this team is a kinda weird story: he doesn't have a kid in the league, the claim is his brother plays catcher in the MLB (I have yet to find any proof) and the league prez has a serious jones for this guy. Anyway, I was really ready for this one.

They started one of the kids from last years team and I reminded our kids to be patient at the plate. Sure enough, he was kinda wild. We were the visitors and immediately went to work. The first two batters got on base and scored on a hit by number 3. He ended up at third and then stole home. I was coaching third, right in front of the opposing dugout. They were mad and thought it was "bush league" that we stole home. It was at this point I knew that this guy didn't have a clue and I was in his head.

The kids have pitch counts that they have to abide by. Their pitcher hit 85, which is the limit. I waited to see if they were going to change pitchers and they didn't move. I reminded them that that was 85. They were surprised and tried to say, no it was 70. I said that it was 85 and they needed to change, which they did. An inning later, they told the ump our pitcher was at 89 pitches. The ump told me and I said he was actually at 69. They insisted and I said, "Give me a break. They aren't even keeping track of their own pitcher and I'm supposed to believe they are keeping track of mine? No way." I showed the ump my book and he agree with me.

Then they tried to say that there was a weekly cumulative pitch count, which is bull. Anyway, we got up 13-3 on them and then gave up 4 runs and won 13-7. The custom is after each game, everybody (coaches too) lines up and shakes hands. The other coaches didn't. Real classy. I told my assistant that I won't let up on them next time. I figure that I held up about 4 runs by not running as much once we got our big lead.

No comments: